- Whatever it is you thought you saw, things change. Your life
- changes. I am not a bet, a swell, a panic.
- To say that I am in mourning is an absurdity. I have never
- known the kind of death that death is.
- The bird is what it is and will remain so. There is nothing to
- love but the word for it.
- Remind yourself that the machine spin of a beetle on its back
- is not frantic, it is functioning.
- I have lost my ability to ridicule. I saw a couple holding
- hands and thought: how kind of them.
RACHEL JEPSEN holds an MFA from the University of Montana. She works as a writer and editor and travels full-time, living out of a retired Forest Service Ford with her husband and their dog, Utah.